- Name: Visual Foundations
- Discipline: Art
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: None
I: Catalog Course Description
Explores visual forms and contemporary concepts through a variety of media, presentations and discussions.
II: Course Objectives
- To introduce a basic understanding of the language of two and three-dimensional design and to expand this understanding into use with the basic principles that govern sound design.
- To encourage the development of visual concepts utilizing these principles.
- To introduce a basic understanding of the various art mediums utilized in the Fine Art field.
- To develop an understanding and appreciation for the relationship between form and content.
- To encourage an environment of experimentation and imagination.
III: Course Linkage
The mission of the AA Degree Program in Fine Arts is to provide knowledge and skills for creative expression, personal enrichment, and the foundation for a career in the Fine Arts.
This course is designed to meet the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Requirement by ensuring that successful students will be able to demonstrate that they:
- Have college-level skills in reading, writing, and oral communication to a level appropriate for their degree and/or emphasis.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Are able to utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Can apply appropriate technological skills, including computer skills.
- Understand the methods of science and the role of science in the modern world.
- Appreciate the importance of cultural traditions, and diversity in the modern world.
- Developed their creative capabilities
- Participated in at least one cultural or artistic activity, such as a visit to a gallery or museum or attended a community art lecture or event.