- Name: General Chemistry I
- Discipline: Chemistry (CHEM)
- Units (Credits): 4
- Schedule History: See when this course was offered over the last three years.
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Science, Mathematics & Engineering
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
- Prerequisites: MATH 126 or higher or appropriate score on the WNC placement or equivalent test, OR Math 96 AND prerequisites or corequisite of MATH 120 or higher
- Recommended: MATH 126, MATH 127, MATH 128 for students who intend to enroll in CHEM 122
I: Catalog Course Description
Provides fundamentals of chemistry including reaction stoichiometry, atomic structure, chemical bonding, molecular structure, states of matter and thermochemistry. Three hours lecture/three hours laboratory.
II: Course Objectives
CHEM 121, General Chemistry I, is the first semester of a one year sequence in general chemistry. The course covers fundamentals of chemistry including reaction stoichiometry, atomic structure, chemical bonding, molecular structure, states of matter and thermochemistry. Three hours lecture and three hours laboratory per week.
Upon successful completion of CHEM 121, students should:
- Understand the principles of chemical reactions
- Atomic structure
- Chemical bonding
- Molecular structure
- States of matter
- Aqueous solutions
- Acid-base chemistry
- Redox reactions
- Applications to biologically important molecules in preparation for pre-nursing/allied health biology courses
- Have practiced the laboratory methods needed to observe and measure the above.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
General Education Mission:
CHEM 121 is a general education class that promotes the development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will benefit students in their personal and professional endeavors.
General Education Student Learning Outcome:
Students who successfully complete CHEM 121 satisfy the general education learning outcomes of demonstrating that they:
- Can use college-level mathematics skills
- Understand the scientific method and the role of science and technology in the modern world
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
Program Mission for AA/AS degree:
CHEM 121 satisfies the A.A./A.S. degree mission by providing academic knowledge and skills for successful transfer students to meet higher educational goals.
Program Student Learning Outcomes for AA/AS degree:
Students who successfully complete CHEM 121 will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.