Catalog: 2014–2015 Catalog Year
CRJ 260: 911 Dispatch Emergency Telecommunicator Academy
- Name: 911 Dispatch Emergency Telecommunicator Academy
- Discipline: Criminal Justice (CRJ)
- Units (Credits): 12
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Career and Technical Education
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
- Prerequisites: 4 hour sit-in in Dispatch Center (prior to class start date)
I: Catalog Course Description
Focuses on the skills needed to become a dispatcher with law enforcement agencies, fire centers, trucking firms, taxicab companies, etc. During the 12-unit semester-long course, students will be required to spend 44 hours job shadowing dispatchers, fire fighters and law enforcement officers. They will attend law classes, build their communication and typing skills, and participate in practical scenarios.
Note: Non-transferable for an NSHE baccalaureate degree. Non-applicable towards an AA or AS Degree.
II: Course Objectives
In keeping with the mission and purpose of this college, successful completion of this course will provide the student with an overview of the established fundamentals of criminal investigations.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
The General Education Mission is to provide students with a core foundation of critical life skills with which to improve their lives. This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the value and importance of diversity, ethics, and public service.