Catalog: 2015–2016 Catalog Year
DAN 101: Dance Appreciation
- Name: Dance Appreciation
- Discipline: Dance (DAN)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: None
I: Catalog Course Description
Provides a non-technical course which offers an understanding and appreciation of the art of dance, with special focus on the artists and styles.
II: Course Objectives
By the completion of the class, the students should, with an accuracy of 75%:
- Know key developments in the history of dance
- Understand the different genres of dance: ballet, jazz, tap, modern and ethnic
- Understand the behind-the-scenes activities of a dance production
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the need for continuing education and lifelong learning.
- Will succeed at transfer institutions.