Catalog: 2012–2013 Catalog Year
EMS 109: Emergency Medical Technician Basic Refresher
- Name: Emergency Medical Technician Basic Refresher
- Discipline: Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Units (Credits): 2
- Schedule History: See when this course was offered over the last three years.
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Nursing and Allied Health
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
- Prerequisites: current Basic EMT Certification. Current CPR certification required. See Nursing and Allied Health web site for further information.
I: Catalog Course Description
Reviews and updates knowledge and skills for individuals seeking to maintain current certification as a Basic EMT. Meets or exceeds U.S. Department of Transportation criteria and requirements for National Registry Certification. Course is required every two years to maintain current certification.
Note: Non-transferable for an NSHE baccalaureate degree. Non-applicable towards an AA or AS Degree.
II: Course Objectives
At the successful conclusion of the course the student will be able to:
- Apply knowledge and skills appropriate to the level of the EMT- Basic while providing safe and effective care to individuals experiencing sudden illness or accidents.
- Administer appropriate emergency medical care based on assessment findings, including the need for intervention by an advanced provider of care.
- Lift, move, position, and otherwise handle patients to minimize their discomfort and prevent further injury.
- Be eligible to apply for recertification as an EMT-Basic.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
Offer an array of affordable and convenient learning opportunities, ranging from short courses to degrees to the greatest number of people within our service area.