Catalog: 2015–2016 Catalog Year
ENG 243: Introduction to the Short Story
- Name: Introduction to the Short Story
- Discipline: English (ENG)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
I: Catalog Course Description
Read and analyze short story masterpieces. The short story is also considered a form of literature.
II: Course Objectives
ENG 243 will help develop competence in the following areas:
- Recognition of the short story as a literary form
- Understanding of the history and development of the short story
- Development of a critical vocabulary and criteria for analyzing the short story
- Recognition of major short story writers and their contribution to the genre
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the need for continuing education and lifelong learning.
- Will succeed at transfer institutions.