Catalog: 2015–2016 Catalog Year
ENG 297: Reading and Interpreting
- Name: Reading and Interpreting
- Discipline: English (ENG)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
I: Catalog Course Description
Examines the methods for creating personal, critical responses to literature representing a range of time periods and genres. Within the framework of traditional and current critical approaches to literature, students will read works from a thematic and critical perspective.
II: Course Objectives
Students will develop their own resonses to literature as a result of being introduced to:
- Traditional and current literary criticism;
- A close reading of the text;
- An analysis of the text based on the elements of fictions, drama, and poetry;
- The use of personal response journals.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the need for continuing education and lifelong learning.
- Will succeed at transfer institutions.