Catalog: 2012–2013 Catalog Year
MATH 126: Precalculus I
- Name: Precalculus I
- Discipline: Mathematics (MATH)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Schedule History: See when this course was offered over the last three years.
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Science, Mathematics & Engineering
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
- Prerequisites: MATH 096 with a grade of C- or better or three units of high school mathematics at the level of algebra and above with a grade of C- or better within the last three years, or appropriate score on the WNC placement or equivalent test
I: Catalog Course Description
Provides a third course in algebra. Topics include: polynomial, rational and radical equations; absolute value and quadratic inequalities; relations and functions; linear, quadratic, polynomial exponential and logarithmic functions, their graphs and applications; and systems of equations.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course, successful students should be able to do the following:
- Solve polynomial, radical and rational equations.
- Solve absolute value and quadratic inequalities.
- Identify functions and find inverse functions.
- Graph, find slopes and equations of linear functions and use them in models.
- Sketch the graphs of basic functions and transformations of them.
- Graph polynomial, exponential and logarithmic functions and use them in models.
- Solve systems of equations and inequalities (not necessarily linear).
Some of the following optional objectives should also be included:
- Add, subtract, and multiply matrices.
- Use matrices to solve systems of linear equations.
- Find the equations and graphs of conic sections.
- Complete proofs using mathematical induction.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
General Education Mission: This course addresses the fourth bullet under goal one of the college's mission to, "Provide instruction that contributes to a student's abilities to think critically and solve problems; to reason mathematically and apply computational skills."
Math 126 satisfies the General Education Requirement for any degree or certificate program and
addresses the following learning objectives of the General Education Requirement by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to apply appropriate college-level mathematical skills to real life applications
- Have developed adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
Educational Objectives for A.A. and A.S. Degrees: Math 126 addresses the following learning objectives of the A.A. and A.S. degree programs by ensuring that successful students:
- Will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of the degree program.
- Can succeed at their transfer institutions.
Educational Objectives for A.G.S. Degree: Math 126 addresses the following learning objectives of the A.G.S. degree by ensuring that successful students:
- Will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for their desired fields of study.
Math 126 can be taken in place of Math 120 and can be used to fulfill the math requirement for any degree program offered at WNC. This option is useful for students who might want to take additional upper division math courses later in their college career.