Catalog: 2013–2014 Catalog Year
MATH 127: Precalculus II
- Name: Precalculus II
- Discipline: Mathematics (MATH)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Schedule History: See when this course was offered over the last three years.
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
- Prerequisites: MATH 126 or three units of high school mathematics at the level of algebra and above, or consent of instructor
I: Catalog Course Description
Studies circular functions, trigonometric identities and equations, conic sections, complex numbers, and discrete algebra.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course successful students will be able to:
- Use geometry to work with symmetrical triangles.
- Solve problems using the distance formula and the pythagorean theorem.
- Compute trigonometric functions of special angles and use them to solve for the unknown part(s) of right triangles.
- Use the Laws of Sines and Cosines to solve for the unknown parts of triangles.
- Compute vector sums and differences.
- Solve trigonometric identities and equations.
- Graph trigonometric functions.
- Compute the values of inverse trigonometric functions.
- Graph equations and functions in polar coordinates.
- Use DeMoivre's theorem to find the powers and roots of complex numbers.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
General Education Mission: This course addresses the fourth bullet under goal one of the college's mission to, "Provide instruction that contributes to a student's abilities to think critically and solve problems; to reason mathematically and apply computational skills."
Math 127 satisfies the General Education Requirement for any degree or certificate program and
addresses the following learning objectives of the General Education Requirement by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to apply appropriate college-level mathematical skills to real life applications
- Have developed adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
Educational Objectives for A.A. and A.S. Degrees: Math 127 addresses the following learning objectives of the A.A. and A.S. degree programs by ensuring that successful students:
- Will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of the degree program.
- Can succeed at their transfer institutions.
Educational Objectives for A.G.S. Degree: Math 127 addresses the following learning objectives of the A.G.S. degree by ensuring that successful students:
- Will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for their desired fields of study.