Catalog: 2013–2014 Catalog Year
MGT 212: Leadership & Human Relations
- Name: Leadership & Human Relations
- Discipline: Management (MGT)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Schedule History: See when this course was offered over the last three years.
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Career and Technical Education
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
I: Catalog Course Description
Schools students on understanding and managing human behavior in organizations. Central to the course is developing a better understanding of one's self as a leader and exploring some of the more effective ways of leading others.
II: Course Objectives
The educational goal of this course is to:
- Describe the relationship between performance at the individual and group levels and organizational performance.
- Describe the relationship between behavior, human relations, and organizational performance.
- Define attitudes and explain how they affect behavior and performance.
- Explain why communication skills are important
- Explain principles of organization and describe how communication flows through organizations.
- Identify steps of initiating, responding to, and mediating conflict resolutions and decision making.
- Explain what leadership is and how it affects performance.
- Describe the motivation process and the factors affecting performance.
- State how power, politics, and ethics affect behavior, human relations, and performance.
- Identify components of team dynamics and how they affect team performance.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
MGT 212--Leadership and Human Relations--meets a General Education requirement of the Associate of Applied Science Degree.
MGT 212 promotes the following Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that students:
- Have college-level skills in reading, writing, and oral communication that are on a level that is appropriate to their degree and/or emphasis.
- Develop solid problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Possess effective and efficient learning skills, including locating sources of and evaluating information.
- Understand the importance of cultural traditions, diversity, and ethics in the modern world.