Catalog: 2014–2015 Catalog Year
MUS 121: Music Appreciation
- Name: Music Appreciation
- Discipline: Music (MUS)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: None
I: Catalog Course Description
Analyzes styles and forms of music from the Middle Ages through the 20th century, and discusses musical instruments and major composers.
II: Course Objectives
By the completion of the class, the students should, with an accuracy of 75%:
- Know the representative forms, styles and major composers from all of the eras of music history.
- Be able to correlate musical style with trends in art and literature
- Be able to aurally identify music by era.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
This course fulfills the Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that students:
- Know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for a musical theater degree
- Can succeed at their transfer institutions
- Posses an understanding of the importance of cultural traditions, diversity, and ethics in the
- Obtain a working knowledge of the fine arts or performing arts.
- Develop their personal creative capabilities
- Appreciate the unique role that the fine arts and humanities have in the development of cultural values
- Desire to participate in cultural or artistic events