Catalog: 2015–2016 Catalog Year
PHYS 151: General Physics I
- Name: General Physics I
- Discipline: Physics (PHYS)
- Units (Credits): 4
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
I: Catalog Course Description
Provides a course in physics for students in arts and science, medicine and dentistry, and agriculture. Emphasis is on mechanics, heat, and sound.
II: Course Objectives
- List the basic standards of mass, length, and time in the SI, MKS, CGS, and U. S. Customary system.
- Develop problem solving skills in dimensional analysis, approximations in the order of magnitude, vectors applications related to physics problems.
- Explain both the theoretical and experimental basis of classical mechanics as well as provides skills development in laboratory techniques and data acquisition.
- Engage in a host of fundamental laboratory experiments that reinforces concepts in the lecture portion of the class.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
General Education Mission:
PHYS 151 is a general education class that promotes the development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will benefit students in their personal and professional endeavors.
General Education Student Learning Outcome:
Students who successfully complete PHYS 151 satisfy the General Education Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that students:
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Understand the methods of science and the roles that science and technology have in the modern world.
Program Mission for AA/AS degree:
PHYS 151 satisfies the A.A. /A.S. degree mission by providing academic knowledge and skills for students to successfully transfer to four year institutions in order for them to meet their higher educational goals.
Program Student Learning Outcomes for AA/AS degree:
Students who successfully complete PHYS 151 will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for the emphasis of their degree.