Catalog: 2014–2015 Catalog Year
STAT 152: Introduction to Statistics
- Name: Introduction to Statistics
- Discipline: Statistics (STAT)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
Prerequisites and Recommended Courses
I: Catalog Course Description
Introduces statistics, probability models, statistical estimation and hypothesis testing, linear regression analysis, and special topics.
II: Course Objectives
Descriptive statistics, probability models, statistical estimation and hypothesis testing, linear regression analysis and special topics.
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Construct and analyze tables and graphs.
- Understand important aspects of the design of surveys and experiments.
- Construct simple probability models.
- Estimate parameters and perform appropriate hypothesis tests.
- Perform simple linear regression using one variable.
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
Stat152 satisfies the General Education Requirement for any degree or certificate and addresses the following Student Learning Objectives for the General Education Requirement by ensuring that students are able to demonstrate that they:
- Can effectively use college-level mathematical skills in real life applications.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.