Catalog: 2014–2015 Catalog Year
THTR 100: Introduction to Theater
- Name: Introduction to Theater
- Discipline: Theatre (THTR)
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: Courses with numbers 100 to 299: This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: None
I: Catalog Course Description
Studies plays of the classic and modern periods, of genres such as tragedy, comedy, farce, and melodrama, and of the art and craft of theatre.
II: Course Objectives
By the completion of the class, the students should, with 75% accuracy:
- Discuss the importance of drama to cultural values
- Recognize types of drama and their conventions
- Recognize the styles of the most influential dramatists
- Understand the basic elements of theatre: audience, performers, script, point of view, and stage environment
III: Course Linkage
Linkage of course to educational program mission and at least one educational program outcome.
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives in which the successful student will be able to demonstrate that they:
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for their degree emphasis.
- Will be able to succeed at their transfer institutions.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Understand the importance of cultural traditions, diversity, and ethics in the modern world.
- Appreciate the significance of the fine arts and performing arts.
- Are able to develop their personal creative capabilities.
- Can recognize the unique role of the fine arts and humanities in the development of cultural values.