- Name: American Experience & Constitutional Change
- Discipline: Core Humanities
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: ENG 102
I: Catalog Course Description
Emphasizes the origins of the U.S. and Nevada constitutions and issues such as equality and civil rights, individualism and civil liberties, federalism, environmentalism, urbanization and industrialization, as well as religious and cultural diversity.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Gain an understanding of the major principles and concepts upon which the American and Nevada Constitutions are based.
- Understand the value and uses of primary sources as historical evidence.
- Develop an appreciation of cultural, religious and racial diversity through the study of constitutional and related issues.
- Learn to express understanding of constitutional principles through effective written and oral communication.
- Engage in critical thinking through the analysis and applicability of constitutional principles.
III: Course Linkage
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that students:
- Have college level reading, writing skill, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Know the basic principles and processes of government at the local, state, national and international level.
- Understand the importance of cultural traditions, diversity, and ethics in the modern world.