- Name: Preschool Practicum: Early Childhood Lab
- Discipline: Early Childhood Education
- Units (Credits): 1–6
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Career and Technical Education
- Prerequisites: ECE 251 or consent of instructor
I: Catalog Course Description
Allows students to work directly with young children under supervision of a master teacher for three hours per week per credit. Students will contract with the instructor and supervisor for completion of projects. Projects will be related to such areas as routines in the preschool, advanced curriculum planning and implementation, or communication techniques with parents. Lesson plans will be completed and carried out with children.
II: Course Objectives
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
Supervise a group of preschool children.
Observe children objectively and describe their behavior.
Effectively interact with preschool-age children on their level.
Demonstrate ability to provide behavior guidance for a child and modify negative behavior.
Demonstrate ability to encourage cooperative interaction among children.
Plan and implement class activities in each of the five developmental areas including a multicultural component.