- Name: Composition II
- Discipline: English
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: ENG 100, ENG 101
I: Catalog Course Description
Continues the study of expository writing. Students read and analyze writing and discursive techniques of interpretation, argument, and research.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The purpose of this course is to provide a foundation of knowledge that allows students to further their study of Literature and/or apply knowledge to meet their personal and professional needs. The information in the parentheses after a course objective refers to the specific general education (GE) learning outcome that the objective meets. Objectives without this information are not linked to WNC’s general education program.
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Present substantially error-free prose suitable in style and content to the purpose of the document and the audience. (GenEd 2)
- Recognize, analyze, and apply the elements of various genres (types) of literature.
- Understand and use critical thinking and creativity to select and apply terms used to analyze literature suitable for arguments regarding literary texts. (GenEd 6)
- Discuss, research, and write about literature with critical insight, precision and clarity. (Gen Ed 4)
- Short Stories
- Literary Research and/or Criticism