- Name: Popular Literature
- Discipline: English
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: ENG 102 or consent of instructor
I: Catalog Course Description
Studies various forms of popular writing, e.g., best-sellers, the western, science fiction, fantasy, the detective story.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course the students should be able to:
- Read popular genera literature
- Understand the history and use of that genera within the greater context of literature, literary history, and criticism
- Learn and apply literary terms
- Learn and understand different methods of criticism and how those methods affect interpretation of the literature
- Think discuss and write critically about the literature
III: Course Linkage
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the need for continuing education and lifelong learning.
- Will succeed at transfer institutions.
Scheduled ENG-266 classes:
There are currently no ENG-266 classes scheduled for this term.