- Name: Contemporary Literature
- Discipline: English
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: ENG 102 or consent of instructor
I: Catalog Course Description
Studies selected contemporary writers for understanding and appreciation. Emphasizes British and American figures.
II: Course Objectives
- Identify and understand the thematic concerns of the selected writers.
- Analyze each selected work in terms of traditional fictional elements: plot, character, setting, point of view, symbol, theme, style & tone.
- Write two essay exams on the literature read.
- Write one critical paper using primary and secondary sources.
III: Course Linkage
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the need for continuing education and lifelong learning.
- Will succeed at transfer institutions.
Scheduled ENG-275 classes:
There are currently no ENG-275 classes scheduled for this term.