- Name: Exploring Planet Earth
- Discipline: Geology
- Units (Credits): 4
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: MATH 120, MATH 126 or higher or consent of instructor
I: Catalog Course Description
3 hours lecture and 3 hours lab.
Lecture covers fundamental principles of geology: tectonics; minerals; igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary processes; and geologic time. Lab covers reading of topographic maps, study and identification of common rocks and minerals, and the study of geologic phenomena.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The information in the parentheses after a course objective refers to the specific general education (GE) learning outcome that the objective meets. Objectives without this information are not linked to WNC’s general education program.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Use terminology specific to the geologic topics selected for the course. (GE 1)
- Use geologic concepts and principles to demonstrate a working knowledge of earth processes. (GE 1)
- Apply classifications to categorize geologic features and phenomena relevant to the topics selected for this course. (GE 1)
- Perform laboratory activities that demonstrate the ability to apply key physical geology concepts and principles. (GE1)
The following is a list of topics that must be covered in Geol 101:
Additionally, instructors may choose to include any of the following topics: