- Name: United States History to 1865
- Discipline: History
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: None
I: Catalog Course Description
Offers a survey of American history and civilization from the time of the first European settlement to about 1865.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Gain factual knowledge (terminology and trends) about the field of American history and civilization to 1865.
- Learn fundamental principles, causal factors for change, theories, and generalizations from the field of American history and civilization to 1865.
- Learn to apply course materials and presentations to improve analytical skills and rational thinking.
III: Course Linkage
Students who complete HIST 101 are expected to demonstrate they:
- Have college-level skills in reading, writing, and oral communication appropriate to their degree and/or emphasis.
- Have problem solving, critical and creative thinking skills.
- Have effective and efficient learning skills, including the location and evaluation of information.
- Understand and apply social science principles, including an appreciation of participation in civic affairs.