- Name: Introduction to Humanities
- Discipline: Humanities
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: None
I: Catalog Course Description
Offers an interdisciplinary approach to the humanities. Students study major works in art, music, literature, and philosophy with historical framework.
II: Course Objectives
Upon course completion students are expected to:
- Identify and explain major cultural forms at the introductory level.
- Express humanistic concepts and express knowledge of artistic and musical forms through evaluation of written and oral work appropriate for a university-parallel course.
- Demonstrate a familiarity with cultural diversity in artistic, musical and literary forms.
III: Course Linkage
The general education mission emphasizes the core life skills of communication, analysis, personal development and community commitment. HUM 101 relates to each of these four components of the general education mission in the following ways:
- Demonstrate college level written and oral communications skills appropriate to their degree or certificate.
- Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and ability to use effective and efficient learning skills
- Develop creative capacities
- Appreciate the value and importance of the vital role of the fine arts and humanities in the development of cultural values.