- Name: Fundamentals of College Mathematics
- Discipline: Mathematics
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: MATH096 or three units of high school mathematics at the level of algebra and above with a grade of C- or better or appropriate score on the WNC placement or equivalent test. MATH 095 with a grade of B- or better in lieu of MATH 096 requirement
I: Catalog Course Description
Studies probability, statistics, business, finance and consumer mathematics. Course is broad in scope and emphasizes applications.
II: Course Objectives
This course is broad in scope and emphasizes applications. Topics will include probability, statistics, business, finance and consumer mathematics.
- 1. Probability and statistics
- 2. Business, finance and consumer mathematics
- 3. Logic and sets
- 4. Sciences
- 5. Geometry
- 6. Trigonometry
III: Course Linkage
General Education Mission:This course addresses the fourth bullet under goal one of the college's mission to, "Provide instruction that contributes to a student's abilities to think critically and solve problems; to reason mathematically and apply computational skills."
Math 120 satisfies the General Education Requirement for any degree or certificate program and addresses the following learning objectives of the General Education Requirement by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to apply appropriate college-level mathematical skills to real life applications
- Have developed adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
Educational Objectives for A.A. and A.S. Degrees:Math 120 addresses the following learning objectives of the A.A. and A.S. degree programs by ensuring that successful students:
- Will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of the degree program.
- Can succeed at their transfer institutions.
Educational Objectives for A.G.S. Degree:Math 120 addresses the following learning objectives of the A.G.S. degree by ensuring that successful students:
- Will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for their desired fields of study.