- Name: Calculus I
- Discipline: Mathematics
- Units (Credits): 4
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: MATH 128, MATH 126, MATH 127 or equivalent or consent of instructor, or appropriate score on the WNC placement or equivalent test
I: Catalog Course Description
Offers fundamental concepts of analytical geometry and calculus, functions, graphs, limits, derivatives, and integrals.
II: Course Objectives
Course offers fundamental concepts of analytical geometry and calculus: functions, graphs, limits, derivatives, and integrals.
Upon completion of this course, successful students should be able to do the following:
- Evaluate limits.
- Differentiate sums, powers, quotients, products, trigonometric and inverse trigonometric functions, logarithmic and exponential functions, explicitly and implicitly.
- Apply differentiation to curve sketching.
- Solve related rates and optimization problems.
- Use Newton's method to approximate the zeros of a function.
- Perform indefinite and definite integration of algebraic, trigonometric, exponential and logarithmic functions with the substitution method.
- Find the area under a curve.
- Solve growth and decay problems.