- Name: Principles of Management
- Discipline: Management
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Career and Technical Education
- Prerequisites: BUS 101 or consent of instructor
I: Catalog Course Description
Studies fundamentals and principles of management; administrative policies, objectives and procedures, and problems of organization control and leadership.
MGT 201 is accepted in lieu of MGRS 301 (UNR) or MGT 401 (UNLV) upon validation of content and knowledge by approved College of Business examination, or satisfactory performance ("C" or better) in MGRS 352 (UNR) or MGT 452 (UNLV) during the first year of eligibility to enroll in the appropriate upper division business course at the University of Nevada, Reno or the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course, successful students will be able to do the following:
- Describe the benefits of attaining skills managerial skills.
- Identify the skills an effective manager must possess.
- Explain the different viewpoints of management theories.
- Identify changing ethical and social responsibilities in a changing diversified and global environment.
- Describe the fundamentals and type of planning.
- Identify different models of decision making.
- Explain methods of motivation including need-based, process, and reinforcement.
- Identify the different techniques for handling conflict including effective group and team development.
- Explain the sources of power, influence and leadership.
- Discuss the importance of control including monitoring performance, comparing with goals, and taking corrective action.
- Apply basic techniques for composing business messages that meet high standards of communication effectiveness.
III: Course Linkage
MGT 201--Principles of Management--meets a General Education requirement of the Associate of Applied Science Degree.
MGT 201 promotes the following Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that students:
- Have college-level skills in reading, writing, and oral communication that are at a level which is appropriate to their degree and/or emphasis.
- Develop solid problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Possess effective and efficient learning skills, including locating sources of and evaluating information.
- Understand importance of cultural traditions, diversity, and ethics in the modern world.