- Name: Piano Class I
- Discipline: Music
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: None
I: Catalog Course Description
Introduces the piano, including instruction in note reading, technique, theory and easy repertoire. Students work in a laboratory setting, each using their own electronic piano.
II: Course Objectives
By the completion of the class, the students should, with 75% accuracy:
- Be able to read music in three major keys: C,F,G
- Know how to play two octave major scales in the key of C
- Play I, IV, V7 keyboard harmony chords in C,F,G
- Coordinate melodies with I,IV, and V7 harmonies.
- Use the damper pedal
- Identify intervals by number
- Create major scales starting on any note of the piano
- Identify and write sharp and flat major key signatures
- Perform rhythms using whole, dotted half, half, dotted quarter, quarter, dotted eighth, eighth and sixteenth notes.
III: Course Linkage
This course fulfills the Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that students:
- Know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for a musical theater degree
- Can succeed at their transfer institutions
- Posses an understanding of the importance of cultural traditions, diversity, and ethics in the modern world
- Obtain a working knowledge of the fine arts or performing arts.
- Develop their personal creative capabilities
- Appreciate the unique role that the fine arts and humanities have in the development of cultural values
- Desire to participate in cultural or artistic events