- Name: Introductory Physics
- Discipline: Physics
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: MATH 120, MATH 126 or higher or consent of instructor
I: Catalog Course Description
Introduces students to a broad range of concepts in physics from basic classical mechanics to modern physics. Students will conduct at least four experiments with many demonstrations performed throughout the course.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The purpose of this course is to introduce students to general concepts in physics across a broad range of topics in physics.
Upon successful completion of PHYS 100 (defined as a letter grade of C or better, 73% or higher overall score) learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of concepts covering a broad range of physical phenomena.
- Gather and interpret data through guided scientific procedures.
Topics include but are not limited to the following. The process of scientific inquiry, classical mechanics, wave mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, atomic physics, nuclear physics, particle physics, relativity, and cosmology.