- Name: Physics for Scientists and Engineers I
- Discipline: Physics
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: MATH 181
- Corequisites: PHYS 180L
I: Catalog Course Description
Explores vectors, rectilinear motion, particle dynamics, work and energy, momentum, rotational mechanics, oscillations, gravitation, fluids, wave properties and sound. Students must co-enroll in both lecture and lab to receive credit.
II: Course Objectives
Upon successful completion of PHYS 180, the student will perform with a minimum accuracy of 80 percent, the following objective:
- List the basic standards of mass, length, and time in the SI, MKS, CGS, and U. S. Customary system.
- Develop problem solving skills in dimensional analysis, approximations in the order of magnitude, vectors algebra and calculus related to physics problems.
- Explain both the theoretical and experimental basis of classical mechanics and develop problem-solving skills for the application to a broad range of physical phenomenon.
III: Course Linkage
General Education Mission:
PHYS 180 is a general education class that promotes the development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will benefit students in their personal and professional endeavors.
General Education Student Learning Outcome:
Students who successfully complete PHYS 180 satisfy the General Education Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that students:
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Understand the methods of science and the roles that science and technology have in the modern world.
Program Mission for AA/AS degree:
PHYS 180 satisfies the A.A. /A.S. degree mission by providing academic knowledge and skills for students to successfully transfer to four year institutions in order for them to meet their higher educational goals.
Program Student Learning Outcomes for AA/AS degree:
Students who successfully complete PHYS 180 will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for the emphasis of their degree.