- Name: Physics for Scientists and Engineers I Lab
- Discipline: Physics
- Units (Credits): 1
- Transfer Information: (Courses with an 'L' Designator after the number) This is a laboratory course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: MATH 181
- Corequisites: PHYS 180
I: Catalog Course Description
Explores vectors, rectilinear motion, particle dynamics, work and energy, momentum, rotational mechanics, oscillations, gravitation, fluids, wave properties and sound. Students must co-enroll in both lecture and lab to receive credit.
II: Course Objectives
Upon successful completion of PHYS 180L, the student will perform with a minimum accuracy of 80 percent, the following objective:
- Apply the scientific method to experiments in the laboratory.
- Develop procedures and observational skills as data is taken and gain a fundamental understanding of simple and complex apparatus used in the experiment.
- Apply analytical techniques, statistical analysis, graphical analysis, spread sheet data/recording to the experiments.
- Verify the theoretical ideas and concepts covered in lecture by completing a host of experiments.
- Take the time to discuss the procedure, the data, and the results of the experiment with the lab partner.
III: Course Linkage
General Education Mission:
PHYS 180L is a general education class that promotes the development of knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will benefit students in their personal and professional endeavors.
General Education Student Learning Outcome:
Students who successfully complete PHYS 180L satisfy the General Education Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that students:
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Understand the methods of science and the roles that science and technology have in the modern world.
Program Mission for AA/AS degree:
PHYS 180L satisfies the A.A. /A.S. degree mission by providing academic knowledge and skills for students to successfully transfer to four year institutions in order for them to meet their higher educational goals.
Program Student Learning Outcomes for AA/AS degree:
Students who successfully complete PHYS 180L will know the subject matter to a level that is appropriate for the emphasis of their degree.