For those desiring a shorter course of study, WNC offers certificates of achievement in many occupational areas. Students enrolled in any of these programs will benefit from “hands-on” laboratory experience within their major field. They will enter the job market with specific skills and knowledge useful for employment and advancement.
30 units are required for any certificate of achievement, although the exact number of units required may differ with particular subject matter.
All certificates include general education requirements which can be fulfilled from the following list of courses.
Courses with a number under 100 (such as ENG 095) are not applicable toward a certificate of achievement at WNC.
In some cases, courses which may apply toward a WNC degree may not transfer to UNR, UNLV, other Nevada community colleges, Nevada State College or to other colleges and universities. See a WNC counselor for the latest transfer information.
The purpose of the Certificate of Achievement is to provide employment-related knowledge and skills.
Students who complete a Certificate of Achievement are expected to demonstrate that they
- know the subject matter appropriate to the emphasis of the certificate.
- are able to do the following:
- have developed an appreciation of the importance of social, ethical, legal and diversity issues.
A minimum of 30 total credits chosen from the following categories:
English/Communications Requirement: 3–6 Units (Credits)
Must include a writing course
- Business: 107, 108
- Communication: 101, 102, 113
- Criminal Justice: 103
- Journalism: 201
- Writing Course (Business 108, English 100, English 101, English 102, English 107 or any other 200 level English class)
Human Relations Requirement: 1–3 Units (Credits)
- Anthropology: 101, 201
- Business: 110
- Counseling and Personal Development: 117, 129
- Criminal Justice: 270
- Early Childhood Education: 121
- Educational Psychology: 150
- Human Development & Family Studies: 201, 202
- Management: 201, 212, 283
- Psychology (Except PSY 210)
- Sociology (Except SOC 210)
Mathematics Requirement: 3 Units (Credits)
A minimum of 30 units (credits) is required for any certificate of achievement, although the exact number of credits required may differ with particular subject matter.