Western Nevada College Policies
Policy 10-1-8: Possession of Dangerous Weapons on College Campuses
WNC Policy 10-1-8
||Possession of Dangerous Weapons on College Campuses
Possession of dangerous weapons on college campuses is prohibited without written permission of the president.
NRS 202.265 Possession of dangerous weapon on property or in vehicle of school; penalty; exceptions.
- Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not carry or possess, while on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education or a private or public school or while in a vehicle of a private or public school:
- An explosive or incendiary device;
- A dirk, dagger or switchblade knife;
- A nunchaku or trefoil;
- A blackjack or billy club or metal knuckles; or
- A pistol, revolver or other firearm.
- Any person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
- This section does not prohibit the possession of a weapon listed in subsection 1 on the property of a private or public school by a:
- Peace officer;
- School security guard; or
- Person having written permission from the president of a branch or facility of the Nevada System of Higher Education or the principal of the school to carry or possess the weapon.
- For the purposes of this section:
- "Firearm" includes:
- Any device used to mark the clothing of a person with paint or any other substance; and
- Any device from which a metallic projectile, including any ball bearing or pellet, may be expelled by means of spring, gas, air or other force.
- "Nunchaku" has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
- "Switchblade knife" has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
- "Trefoil" has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 202.350.
- "Vehicle" has the meaning ascribed to "school bus" in NRS 484.148. (Added to NRS by 1989, 656; A 1993, 364; 1995, 1151; 2001, 806)