Financial Assistance

Veterans Services

The determination of eligibility for veteran's educational benefits rests with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). The Veterans Services Office assists veterans and/or their eligible dependents to access their benefits by certifying their enrollment each semester. To do this, students requesting VA certification need to submit the required forms to the campus Veterans Services Office for each term they wish to be certified for.

Eligible Veterans

Eligibility may be granted to veterans honorably separated from military service, military retirees, active duty military, military reservists, veterans with service connected disabilities, and dependents of veterans who are totally and permanently disabled.

Eligible Programs

Montgomery Bill (Chapter 30)

Chapter 30 is an educational program for individuals initially entering active military duty on or after 1/1/85 and for certain individuals on active duty before 7/1/85. A military retiree who entered the service (or who agreed to a delayed entry) before 1/1/77 and was eligible to receive Chapter 34 benefits (Vietnam era Education Program) on 12/31/89, may receive also Chapter 30 benefits. Certain other veterans may be eligible under other categories if they were voluntarily or involuntarily separated from the service as a result of a reduction in personnel. More information about Chapter 30...

Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31)

The Vocational Rehabilitation program is for veterans who have incurred or aggravated a service connected disability which entitles them to VA disability compensation; and whose disability creates an employment handicap. Entitlement is determined on an individual basis following an evaluation of the veteran's interests, aptitudes, education and work experience. More information about Chapter 31...

Post-9/11 GI-Bill (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Individuals must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

The Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) is an education program that pays benefits to dependents of some veterans.

Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP) Chapter 1607

For Guard/Reservists who served 90 continuous days or more on active duty after September 11, 2001 for a contingency operation as determined by the President or Congress. Members receive a portion of the MGIB three year rate depending on how long they served on active duty.

Montgomery Bill for the Select Reserve (Chapter 1606)

Chapter 1606 is an educational program for active members of the Select Reserve. Select Reserve components of the Ready Reserve include the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard. Basic eligibility requires a six year obligation to serve in the Select Reserve and Satisfactory participation in required Select Reserve Training. More information about Chapter 1606...

Standards of Satisfactory Progress

Veterans receiving VA educational benefits are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale. If a veteran's cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, he/she will be placed on academic probation for the following semester. If a veteran's cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 for two subsequent semesters, VA benefits will be terminated. Terminated benefits can only be restored once the Veteran meets the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) conditions and meets all standards required by the VA. Once all standards are met, the certifying official will certify benefits accordingly.

Note: Veterans educational Benefits are usually a monthly benefit paid directly to the student by the VA. It is the student's responsibility to pay college tuition/fees while waiting to receive benefits.

Information: 775-445-3000
General Questions: