- Name: Art Appreciation
- Discipline: Art
- Units (Credits): 3
- Transfer Information: (Courses with numbers 100 to 299) This course is designed to apply toward a WNC degree and/or transfer to other schools within the Nevada System of Higher Education, depending on the degree chosen and other courses completed. It may transfer to colleges and universities outside Nevada. For information about how this course can transfer and apply to your program of study, please contact a counselor.
- Academic Division: Liberal Arts
- Prerequisites: None
I: Catalog Course Description
This course studies art, artists and art media of various historical periods to develop the student’s capacity to evaluate and appreciate them.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The information in the parentheses after a course objective refers to the specific general education (GE) learning outcome that the objective meets. Objectives without this information are not linked to WNC’s general education program. Upon completion of this course, students will have demonstrated they can:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of key art concepts, principles, themes, and major content areas to explain and appreciate art forms from different times and cultures. (GE 1)
- Locate, evaluate, and appropriately use information from multiple resources to complete art projects and papers. (GE 4)
- Use critical thinking and creativity to select and apply recognized methods suitable for understanding significant or enduring aesthetic problems. (GE 6)
- Appreciate individual artworks and the underlying aesthetic, cultural, philosophical and social influences that affected the artists who created them.