- Name: Substance Abuse-Fundamental Facts and Insights
- Division: Career & Technical Education
- Discipline: Counseling & Personal Develop
- Units (Credits): 3.00
I. Catalog Course Description
Covers topics related to substance abuse in society: identification of substance, reasons for abuse of alcohol and of drugs, signs and symptoms of substance abuse, and approaches and techniques recognized as effective in substance abuse counseling.
II: Course Objectives
As a result of active participation in this course each student will:
- Be able to classify chemical substances used in drug abuse.
- Be able to identify the signs and symptoms of substance abuse, misuse, use and the detoxification process.
- Be aware of the reasons for alcohol and drug abuse in this society.
- Be aware of approaches and techniques recognized as effective in substance abuse treatment and assessment.
- Be aware of special issues concerning special populations and issues surrounding chemical dependency treatment.
- Be aware of her/his own bias, attitudes, belief, values and motivations with regard to substance use, misuse and abuse.
III: Course Linkage
The General Education Mission is to provide students with a core foundation of critical life skills with which to improve their lives. This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.