- Name: Communication Within the Criminal Justice Field
- Division: Career & Technical Education
- Discipline: Criminal Justice
- Units (Credits): 3.00
I. Catalog Course Description
Prepares the student to be able to communicate within the criminal justice field by introducing him/her to the five basic communication skills: report writing, non-verbal communication, basic public speaking, interviewing and interrogation skills, and courtroom testimony. * This class must be taken before attending the Western Nevada State Peace Officer Academy
II: Course Objectives
- Identify the correct purpose of a police report
- Assess the four purposes of taking field notes and maintaining an officer’s field notebook
- Identify items allowed to be used by an officer to refresh their memory for recollection while testifying in court
- Identify items not discoverable under NRS174-245
- List the eight characteristics of a well written report
- Discuss the proper attire, attitude, and demeanor of testifying in court
- Assess non-verbal skills
- Acknowledge the traits of a good public speaker
- Assess the “art” of interrogation and interviews
- Write acceptable police reports
III: Course Linkage
The General Education Mission is to provide students with a core foundation of critical life skills with which to improve their lives. This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the value and importance of diversity, ethics, and public service.