- Name: Infectious Diseases and First Aid
- Division: Career & Technical Education
- Discipline: Early Childhood Education
- Units (Credits): 1.00
I. Catalog Course Description
Provides information about infectious diseases and first aid measures in the child care setting. Course content will include recognizing communicable and acute illnesses, management of accidents and injuries, preventive measures, health education, current research, and community resources.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course successful students will be able to:
- Discuss and identify the importance of universal precautions.
- Recognize and distinguish common communicable diseases from acute illnesses.
- State the common methods of transmission of communicable illnesses.
- Discuss the controls and preventive measures taken to reduce communicable illnesses.
- Discuss common health problems for the preschool and daycare center.
- State the first aid measures to be followed in the event of accident or injury to a young child.
III: Course Linkage
This course is designed to allow students to meet the program outcome of knowing the subject matter appropriate to Early Childhood Education. Students will also:
- Develop strategies for maintaining a safe and healthy child care.
- Be aware of community child and family service agencies in the community.
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the need for continuing education and lifelong learning.
- Will succeed at transfer institutions.
Scheduled ECE-168 classes:
There are currently no ECE-168 classes scheduled for this term.