I. Catalog Course Description
Intensive reading and writing course focusing on writing the expository and argumentative essay. Emphasis on revising and editing essays for development, coherence, style, and correctness as well as on investigative, reasoning, and organizational skills necessary to create successful research papers. Provides extra assistance in English writing skills, grammar, sentence structure, usage, and punctuation.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course the students should be able to:
- Approach writing as a process.
- Read and analyze a variety of academic texts, and learn to appreciate the contributions of the writings of authors from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Use invention strategies–listing, brainstorming, clustering, mapping, etc. –to develop and organize ideas.
- Write coherent college-level essays that include a clear, arguable thesis statement.
- Create essays with effective introductions well-developed body paragraphs, and effective concluding paragraphs.
- Use clear topic sentences in paragraphs, and use effective transitional expressions to move from one idea to another.
- Apply the conventions and rules of standard English–grammar, mechanics, and usage–in written assignments.
- Develop skill-building techniques and apply them in written assignments.
- Participate in class discussions and group activities in the classroom.
- Document research using MLA format
III: Course Linkage
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the need for continuing education and lifelong learning.
- Will succeed at transfer institutions.