I. Catalog Course Description
Prerequisites: ENG100 or ENG101.
Continues the study of expository writing. Students read and analyze writing and discursive techniques of interpretation, argument, and research.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The purpose of this course is to provide a foundation of knowledge that allows students to further their study of Literature and/or apply knowledge to meet their personal and professional needs. The information in the parentheses after a course objective refers to the specific general education (GE) learning outcome that the objective meets. Objectives without this information are not linked to WNC’s general education program.
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to:
- Present substantially error-free prose suitable in style and content to the purpose of the document and the audience. (GenEd 2)
- Recognize, analyze, and apply the elements of various genres (types) of literature.
- Understand and use critical thinking and creativity to select and apply terms used to analyze literature suitable for arguments regarding literary texts. (GenEd 6)
- Discuss, research, and write about literature with critical insight, precision and clarity. (Gen Ed 4)
- Short Stories
- Literary Research and/or Criticism