I. Catalog Course Description
Prerequisites: appropriate score on WNC placement examination or equivalent examination
Helps students improve their writing for school or on the job. Offers practice in sentence, paragraph and short essay writing with attention to grammar, sentence structure and punctuation. The student will learn how to combine sentences and paragraphs to communicate clearly and effectively. Grading: pass/fail.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course the students should be able to:
- Demonstrate correct usage of sentence skills: appropriate word choice; correct grammatical usage; correct capitalization, spelling, and punctuation; recognizing and writing complete sentences;
- Understand and utilize the writing process from pre-writing, in order to develop ideas, through editing the final writing product;
- Generate specific evidence in support of a thesis statement;
- Develop unified, coherent paragraphs that support clear topic sentences;
- Develop and write essays with an introduction, supporting detail paragraphs and conclusion;
- Demonstrate and establish a clear method of organization through the use of logic, transitions, and other connective devices;
- Use correct manuscript form;
- Practice peer review and self-evaluation.
III: Course Linkage
Although this course does not fulfill any general education or degree program requirements, it will assist students toward developing college-level reading, writing, and critical thinking skills and prepare them to succeed in college-level courses.