I. Catalog Course Description
Provides a third course in algebra. Topics include: polynomial, rational and radical equations; absolute value and quadratic inequalities; relations and functions; linear, quadratic, polynomial exponential and logarithmic functions, their graphs and applications; and systems of equations.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The information in the parentheses after a course objective refers to the specific general education (GE) learning outcome that the objective meets. Objectives without this information are not linked to WNC’s general education program.
Students who pass this course must demonstrate they can:
- linear, quadratic, radical, and fractional equations. (GE3)
- absolute value and quadratic inequalities. (GE3)
- systems of equations and inequalities (not necessarily linear.) (GE3)
- identify functions and find inverse functions. (GE3)
- graph, find slopes and equations of linear functions, use them in models. (GE3)
- sketch the graphs of basic functions and transformations of them. (GE3)
- graph polynomial, exponential and logarithmic functions and use them in models. (GE3&6)
Fundamentals of algebra, equations, complex numbers, linear, quadratic, exponential and logarithmic functions, system of equations and inequalities. Additional topics may also include: matrices, determinants, conic sections, counting techniques and probability, mathematical induction.