I. Catalog Course Description
Offers a second course in algebra. Studies polynomial, rational and radical expressions; linear, quadratic and polynomial equations; linear and absolute value inequalities; relations, functions and their graphs; systems of linear equations; and applications.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course, successful students should be able to do the following:
- Read, write simplify and manipulate polynomial, rational and radical expressions.
- Solve linear equations.
- Solve quadratic equations using factoring and the quadratic formula.
- Solve simple polynomial equations.
- Solve linear and absolute value inequalities.
- Identify functions.
- Graph, find slope and equation of linear functions.
- Graph simple quadratic functions.
- Use Pythagorean and distance formulas.
- Solve a system of linear equations.
- Solve application problems.
III: Course Linkage
Although Math 96 does not fulfill any general education or degree program requirements, it will assist students toward developing appropriate college-level mathematical skills and problem solving skills and prepare them to succeed in college-level courses.