- Name: Intro to Personality Psychology
- Division: Liberal Arts
- Discipline: Psychology
- Units (Credits): 3.00
I. Catalog Course Description
Introduces students to personality testing and the major approaches to the study of personality, including the influence of heredity, learning, the unconscious, etc.
II: Course Objectives
The course objectives have been aligned with the recommended outcomes from the American Psychological Association and the WNC requirements for sophomore level general education courses. The outcomes students are expected to attain are:
- Knowledge of the psychological theories and research in the field of personality psychology.
- Understanding of the role of psychodynamic, trait dimension, biological, humanistic, behavioral, and cognitive approaches to personality.
- Familiarity with the research methods and ethical considerations appropriate for the study of personality psychology.
- Ability to apply course materials to assessments of their own and others’ personalities.
III: Course Linkage
PSY 230 can be used for all degrees and certificates of achievement offered at WNC. It is most strongly linked to missions for the General Education Requirement and the two primary transfer degrees, AA and AS. This course also helps students prepare to successfully transfer to baccalaureate degree programs at four year institutions by meeting the AA and AS Student Learning Objectives.
General Education Program Outcomes
Students in this course are expected to show they are making progress towards meeting five of the General Education Student Learning Objectives by demonstrating that they:
- Have college-level reading, writing, and oral communications skills.
- Understand the methods of science.
- Are able to apply the basic principles of social science.
- Possess adequate problem-solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Appreciate the importance of cultural traditions, diversity, and ethics in psychology.
Scheduled PSY-230 classes:
There are currently no PSY-230 classes scheduled for this term.