I. Catalog Course Description
Prerequisites: READ093 with a C or better, reading placement exam, or consent of instructor
Helps the average reader improve reading efficiency through practice with advanced comprehension skills. Reading rate is thereby improved indirectly. Students with heavy academic or on-the-job reading will benefit. Attention is also given to expanding reading vocabularies.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course the students should be able to:
- Use contextual clues to hypothesize the meanings of new terms met while reading.
- Use a dictionary effectively and increase personl sight vocabulary by 50 new words (minimum), and master the method for this on-going process.
- Identify the main ideas of paragraphs and the central points of essays/articles.
- Identify key supporting details which develop main ideas in paragraphs.
- Identify the relationship of ideas through organizational patterns.
- Read critically: Discriminate between fact and opinion; Make valid inferences; Undersand purpose and tone; Read for reasoning (recognizing valid/invalid arguments).
III: Course Linkage
- Have college-level skills in reading, writing, and oral communication appropriate to their degree and/or emphasis
- Have problem solving, creative, and critical thinking skills
- Have effective and efficient learning skills, including the location and evaluation of information
- Understand the importance of cultural traditions, diversity, and ethics in the modern world