- Name: Fingerspelling I
- Division: Professional & Applied Technology
- Discipline: American Sign Language
- Units (Credits): 1.00
I. Catalog Course Description
Develops basic skills in receptive and expressive fingerspelling.
II: Course Objectives
- Proper nouns: names, places, specialized foods, and books, songs and movie titles.
- Understand and apply research based techniques in the production and comprehension of fingerspelled words.
- Understand how Deaf people fingerspell.
- Understand the importance of fingerspelling in the Deaf Community and related research
- Understanding the importance of cultural traditions, diversity and ethics in the modern world.
III: Course Linkage
The General Education Mission is to provide a core of critical life skills. AM 151 addresses four specific General Education Student Learning Objectives from all four major areas:
- Students will leave the course with fluency in American Sign Language which will enhance their ability to communicate with members of general society that are Deaf and/or users of American Sign Language.
- Understand how to best communicate with persons who use sign language and those who have various levels of hearing.
- During this course, students will enhance their ability to analyze both English and American Sign Language from a linguistic, as well as cultural perspective.
- Demonstrate ability to interact with those who have a different cultural and language background.
- Throughout the course students will be demonstrating applied knowledge, personal skills development in both languages and apply current research to their daily professional and personal interactions.
- Students in this course will be asked to participate in many cultural and community events, thus demonstrating their enhanced knowledge of the Deaf Community and its corresponding language, American Sign Language.
- Understand the diverse needs of persons who are deaf, hard of hearing, of deafened.
- Use information presented in class to facilitate equal access communication opportunities for members of the deaf community
Scheduled AM-151 classes:
Loading class infomation...
Contents are loading