- Name: Linux Installation & Configuration
- Division: Professional & Applied Technology
- Discipline: Computer Information Technology
- Units (Credits): 3.00
I. Catalog Course Description
Prerequisites: Basic computer literacy skills.
Provides an introduction to the Linux Operating System. Topics include Linux origins, file system, user commands and utilities, graphical user interfaces, editors, manual pages and shells.
II: Course Objectives
Introduces the student to the GNU/ Linux operating system. Covers installation and configuration of several distributions of GNU/Linux. Graphical user interfaces, command-line configuration, security, and system administration will be emphasized. Will prepare students for industry accepted GNU/Linux System Administration Certification.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Install the Linux operating system on a variety of hardware configuration.
- Configure Linux on a variety of hardware configuration
- Create and maintain partitions.
- Master concepts of Linux/ Unix.
- Develop shell scripts, use shell utilities, understand and monitor processes and understand basic file operations and file systems.
III: Course Linkage
This course fulfills Western Nevada College’s Student Learning Objectives of ensuring that successful students:
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Are able to demonstrate knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Understand the theoretical principles behind creating and maintaining a professional level Web site.
- Use current software to create, publish, and maintain a professional level Web site.
- Apply techniques appropriate to their specialty in the operation of a Web site.
Scheduled CIT-173 classes:
There are currently no CIT-173 classes scheduled for this term.