- Name: Art in the Preschool Curriculum
- Division: Professional & Applied Technology
- Discipline: Early Childhood Education
- Units (Credits): 1.00
I. Catalog Course Description
Describes activities and materials for teaching art in the preschool, including creative development and enjoyment of art through various materials and activities.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course successful students will be able to:
- Describe the differences between creative, open ended art (the magic process) and non-art, (the predictable product).
- Develop preschool curriculum ideas for their own classes.
- Distinguish between applying, forming, and interlacing art activities.
- Identify what children learn when doing creative art projects as related to all curriculum areas.
- List the stages of development young children go through when learning to draw.
- Identify sources of inexpensive art materials.
III: Course Linkage
This course is designed to allow students to meet the Early Childhood Education Program Learning Outcomes of ensuring that successful students will be able to:
- Develop strategies for maintaining a safe and healthy child care environment.
- Be aware of community child and family service agencies in the community.
- Develop an appreciation for the importance of advocating for child and family related issues at the community and legislative level.
- Understand the benefits of participation in early childhood professional organizations.
This course addresses the following Student Learning Objectives of the General Education Mission by ensuring that successful students:
- Are able to demonstrate college level reading, writing, and oral communication skills.
- Possess adequate problem solving, creative reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Can engage in meaningful self assessments and work effectively with others.
- Utilize effective and efficient learning skills, including locating and evaluating sources of information.
- Have knowledge of the subject matter to a level that is appropriate to the emphasis of their degree.
- Develop and improve their creative abilities.
- Appreciate the need for continuing education and lifelong learning.
- Will succeed at transfer institutions.
Scheduled ECE-157 classes:
There are currently no ECE-157 classes scheduled for this term.