- Name: Emergency Medical Technician Training
- Division: Nursing and Allied Health
- Discipline: Emergency Medical Services
- Units (Credits): 6.00 - 8.00
- Course Attributes:
- May not transfer towards an NSHE bachelor's degree
- Non-applicable toward AA, AB or AS Degrees
I. Catalog Course Description
Prerequisite: must be 18 years or older. Current CPR certification and required immunizations and tests, and health insurance. See Nursing and Allied Health web site for further information.
Prepares individuals to provide basic emergency medical care, according to US Department of Transportation guidelines, to individuals experiencing sudden illness or injury. Course content includes appraisal of scene safety and scene management, assessment and treatment of common emergency patient conditions, including fractures, wounds and airway obstruction. Instruction includes use of emergency medications and automatic external defibrillation (AED) devices as well as components of continuing care during emergency ambulance transportation to the emergency department (ED). Clinical experience includes Emergency department hospital and ambulance rotations to meet a required minimum of 10 patient contacts. Upon successful conclusion of the course the student is eligible to sit for the National Registry Examination for EMT Basic.
II: Course Objectives
Upon successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of procedures and skills required in the performance of patient care within the scope of practice of an EMT Basic.
- Demonstrate, in a simulated environment, emergency care of an individual experiencing sudden illness or injury within the scope of an EMT Basic.
- Provide emergency care within the ethical and legal boundaries of an EMT-Basic.
- Sit for the National Registry examination for EMT-Basic.
III: Course Linkage
Offer an array of affordable and convenient learning opportunities, ranging from short courses to degrees, to the greatest number of people within our service area.
Scheduled EMS-108 classes:
Loading class infomation...
Contents are loading