- Name: Basic Writing I
- Division: Liberal Arts
- Discipline: English
- Units (Credits): 3.00
- Course Attributes:
- Financial Aid will not pay for this course.
I. Catalog Course Description
Provides instruction in basic English skills including grammar, parts of speech, agreement, syntax, punctuation, spelling, and sentence structure. Focuses on a variety of sentence patterns and types. Provides extensive practice in grammar and usage. Grading: pass/fail.
II: Course Objectives
Upon completion of this course the students should be able to:
- Identify parts of speech in sentences;
- Identify errors in standard English usage, being able to recognize, for instance, sentence fragments, run-ons, dangling modifiers, and faulty agreement;
- Understand and apply the rules of grammar through computer-assisted tutorials and drill practice;
- Understand and apply the rules of capitalization, spelling, and punctuation through computer-assisted tutorials and drill practice.
III: Course Linkage
Although this course does not fulfill any general education or degreem program requirements, it will assist students toward developing college-level reading, writing, and critical thinking skills and prepare them to succeed in college-level courses.
Scheduled ENG-90 classes:
There are currently no ENG-90 classes scheduled for this term.