I. Catalog Course Description
Prerequisites: MATH120,MATH126 or higher or consent of instructor
3 hours lecture and 3 hours lab.
Lecture covers fundamental principles of geology: tectonics; minerals; igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary processes; and geologic time. Lab covers reading of topographic maps, study and identification of common rocks and minerals, and the study of geologic phenomena.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The information in the parentheses after a course objective refers to the specific general education (GE) learning outcome that the objective meets. Objectives without this information are not linked to WNC’s general education program.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Use terminology specific to the geologic topics selected for the course. (GE 1)
- Use geologic concepts and principles to demonstrate a working knowledge of earth processes. (GE 1)
- Apply classifications to categorize geologic features and phenomena relevant to the topics selected for this course. (GE 1)
- Perform laboratory activities that demonstrate the ability to apply key physical geology concepts and principles. (GE1)
The following is a list of topics that must be covered in Geol 101:
- Earth’s structure; Plate tectonics; Earth materials (minerals and rocks); Geologic time; Topographic maps
Additionally, instructors may choose to include any of the following topics:
- Volcanic activity; Earthquakes; Crustal deformation; Evolution of the seafloor; External earth processes
Scheduled GEOL-101 classes:
Loading class infomation...
Contents are loading