I. Catalog Course Description
Prerequisites: GEOL101 or consent of instructor
Covers important geological developments in Nevada that have occurred throughout geologic time. At least one field trip will be required.
II. Course Objectives and Linkage to General Education Program
The information in the parentheses after a course objective refers to the specific general education (GE) learning outcome that the objective meets. Objectives without this information are not linked to WNC’s general education program.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Use terminology specific to the geologic topics selected for the course. (GE 1)
- Use geologic concepts and principles to demonstrate a working knowledge of the geologic processes that have operated in Nevada through time. (GE1)
- Apply classifications to categorize geologic features and phenomena relevant to the topics selected for this course. (GE 1)
- Perform at least 4 laboratory/field activities that demonstrate the ability to apply key geologic concepts and principles (GE1)
The following is a list of topics that must be covered in Geol 201:
- Plate tectonics, including earthquakes, volcanoes, and crustal deformation; rocks and minerals; geologic time; geologic history of Nevada.
Additionally, instructors may choose to include other topics pertinent to the geology of Nevada.
Scheduled GEOL-201 classes:
There are currently no GEOL-201 classes scheduled for this term.